The recent AR Rahman concert in Chennai was a major disappointment for many fans. The event was plagued by problems, including overcrowding, poor crowd management, and traffic congestion.
From an event management perspective, there were a number of things that went wrong at the concert. Here are a few key takeaways:
- Overselling tickets: One of the biggest mistakes made by the event organizers was overselling tickets. This led to overcrowding at the venue, which made it difficult for people to move around and enjoy the concert.
- Poor crowd management: The event organizers also failed to properly manage the crowd. This led to long queues, pushing and shoving, and a number of people being injured.
- Lack of communication: The event organizers also failed to communicate effectively with attendees. This led to confusion and chaos, as people were unsure of where to go or what to do.
In addition to these specific mistakes, there were a number of other factors that contributed to the failure of the concert. These included:
- Inadequate infrastructure: The venue was not large enough to accommodate the number of people who attended the concert. This led to overcrowding and a lack of basic amenities, such as toilets and drinking water.
- Unforeseen circumstances: The event was also affected by unforeseen circumstances, such as heavy rain and traffic congestion. However, the event organizers failed to adequately plan for these contingencies.
The failure of the AR Rahman concert is a cautionary tale for event management companies. It is important to carefully plan and execute all aspects of an event, from ticket sales to crowd management. It is also important to have a contingency plan in place in case of unforeseen circumstances.
Here are some specific lessons that event management companies can learn from the AR Rahman concert fiasco:
- Do not oversell tickets. It is important to leave a margin of error when selling tickets. This will help to ensure that the venue is not overcrowded and that everyone has a safe and enjoyable experience.
- Have a comprehensive crowd management plan. The crowd management plan should include measures such as crowd barriers, security checkpoints, and emergency evacuation procedures.
- Communicate effectively with attendees. Keep attendees informed of all important details, such as the event schedule, venue information, and transportation options.
- Be prepared for unforeseen circumstances. Have a contingency plan in place in case of bad weather, traffic congestion, or other unforeseen events.
By following these lessons, event management companies can avoid the pitfalls that led to the failure of the AR Rahman concert and ensure that their events are successful and enjoyable for everyone involved.